“Costume design for Cleopatre” – Leon Bakst
The International Konstantinovsky Charitable Fund, headed by Vladimir Kozhin has purchased a collection of Russian theater and decorative art from 1880-1930s. The collection belonged to Nina and Nikita Lobanov-Rostovsky, who wanted the work to be returned to Russia. Prince Nikita Lobanov-Rostovsky began collecting art in 1959 and in recent years has made a number of significant donations to various Russian museums.
The collection is comprised of 810 watercolors, theater posters, drawings, and engravings. According to Bloomberg News, “Most of the works were made for Sergei Diaghilev’s Ballets Russes that performed in Paris, and later Monte Carlo, from 1909 to 1929.”
The collection is currently being stored in Germany, but will go on display at the St. Petersburg State Museum of Theater and Music this September.